Sleep apnea is a common sleep disorder in which the regular breathing process stops suddenly and frequently, while the person is asleep. It is a potentially serious disorder and needs prompt treatment before it potentially affects the patient’s health and causes weight gain, low energy and long-term heart problems.
Many of us are no doubt affected with Sleep apnea and snoring and may not be aware of the problem. Sleep apnea differs significantly from normal snoring and there are many ways to detect and cure sleep apnea-related snoring
Sleep apnea is characterized by:
- Loud and chronic snoring
- Choking or gasping during sleep
- Long pauses in breathing which awakens the sleeper
- Daytime sleepiness and constant tiredness
- Headaches in the morning
- Restless or fitful sleep
- Waking up and feeling out of breath
- Moodiness and irritability
The most common remedy for sleep apnea is a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) device, although there are alternatives and the best treatments are natural remedies for sleep apnea. The natural ways to cure sleep apnea are:
- Lose excess weight
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid alcohol and other stimulants at least two hours before bed
- Sleep on your side, not on the back
- Check for underlying allergies or sinus problems, as sinus blockage also causes snoring
- Stop smoking
- Practice exercises to strengthen throat muscles and control breathing
There are reputed medical facilities and specialized Sleep Apnea Advanced Center, where chronic snoring and sleep apnea is treated with non-invasive and/or minimally invasive procedures. These include nasal valve repair, nonsurgical tonsil reduction, radio frequency, palatal stiffening, and robotic assisted procedures.
These are just a few lifestyle-related natural remedies. Another category of treatment is alternative medicine/tracking sleeping patterns, which record the body’s rhythm during sleep and provides clues to get it back to its natural order. These alternative treatments include:
- Keeping a sleep diary of symptoms and how they affect your sleep
- Ask a partner or setup a system to record yourself while sleeping. This documented proof shows what happens in your sleep so you can self-diagnose and get the assistance you need.
If these homecare remedies do not result in any progress, visit a professional healthcare or sleep apnea center for help solving your sleep apnea issues.
Posted in General Blog