Chicago ENT is only one of a few practices that have the expertise to alleviate your chronic sinus problems when medication fails, using Chemical Nasal Cautery.
How could chemical nasal cautery help?
Many sinus sufferers will benefit from chemical nasal cautery. It’s generally helpful for:
- Sinus infections
- Sinus headaches
- Facial pain
- Facial pressure
- Nasal congestion
- Nasal stuffiness
- Ear pressure and recurrent ear infections
How do I know if I’m a candidate for chemical cautery?
If you have any of the symptoms listed above or if you consider yourself to be a “sinus sufferer,” you could be a candidate for chemical nasal cautery. A Chicago ENT physician will examine your sinuses and ask some questions to determine if the treatment is right for you.
Why should i consider it?
The treatment has a success rate of about 80 percent, and patients typically find it more convenient and less painful than traditional nasal surgery. It is also highly effective in patients who have already had nasal surgery or have become intolerant to decongestants. Chemical cautery has no known side effects, does not interfere with most medications, can successfully reduce nasal secretions and relieve nasal and sinus headaches.
How does it work?
A simple 4 step process
- A chemical solution is applied to the nasal lining by a highly-skilled ear, nose and throat specialist. Each treatment begins with an application of a blood vessel constricting topical anesthetic to the nasal lining to eliminate pain and to reduce congestion of the nasal lining.
- This is followed by the application of a solution to depleting the lining of the mast cells which are contributors to the release of histamine.
- A third solution is then applied to clear the nasal airway and ensure proper sinus drainage.
- Peppermint oil is placed on the nasal lining to prevent it from becoming dry.
Are the effects of chemical nasal cautery permanent?
Chemical Nasal Cautery should be performed once a month for three months during the initial phase of treatment. After, the initial phase of treatment, the patient is re-assessed to determine the effectiveness. Following the third treatment, maintenance treatments are recommended every six months.
Will my insurance cover chemical nasal cautery?
Nearly every insurance plan will cover chemical cautery performed through Chicago ENT.
To learn more about this treatment or to schedule an appointment, call 773-296-5500 or schedule an appointment conveniently online 24/7.